Hi! I’m Jamie and welcome to A Sassy Spoon!
Food has always been a big part of my life. I was born and raised in South Florida, the mecca of Hispanic food and wearing flip flops all year long because what are seasons? I grew up watching my Cuban mom cook for my family using “un poquito” (Spanish for “a little bit”) as her measurement of choice. And even though I was always surrounded by AMAZING food, there was a point in my life where I only ate chicken fingers. True story. Everyday. Chicken Fingers. My parents were concerned.
As I got older, I began expanding my palate, being a tourist in my own city, traveling, and creating my own variations of the foods I had tried and loved. A Sassy Spoon is an extension of all my passions and an exciting new chapter for my career. Whether on a road trip or in the kitchen, I’m probably planning my next recipe or next trip…and then sharing it with you!
ABOUT THE BLOG
When I first started this blog, I shared recipes that were inspired by my Cuban roots. Recipes that evoked memories of my childhood and some of which I sometimes still enjoy to this day like ham croquettes and pastelitos de guayaba. Perks of living in South Florida! Since then, I’ve shared recipes that are simple, healthy-ish, fresh, summery, full of citrus and bold flavors (Miami will do that to your tastebuds), along with dessert recipes to satisfy my insane sweet tooth.
While I absolutely LOVE comfort food and baking all day, I’m also a Latina on a mission to live a balanced lifestyle. Read more about that here. Don’t judge me if you see a salad and a cookie on the same plate! That’s the life I want to live. ;) When I’m not developing recipes, I’m talking about all the food I ate while traveling. Am I the only one that plans travel around food?
This blog is ever changing, evolving, and growing but most importantly, it’s a place where we can all connect, be inspired and celebrate our love for food. If there’s anything else that you’d love to see on this blog, email me at [email protected].
Thank you for being here! <3
More Fun Facts!
- My biggest pet peeve is when people spell my name wrong. It’s Jamie, not Jaime. I am not a guy. J-A-M-I-E.
- I went to Art School after High School, ended up in Health Care, got a Business degree, then switched careers to Marketing. Deciding to work from home has seriously been the best decision I’ve ever made in my life. Find out more here.
- I’m a Gen XYer with a millennial brain. Ha! I was born in the 80s and I’m part of the only generation that knows what life was like before social media. I often speak in memes, gifs, and hashtags and, watch silly YouTube videos so basically I don’t really act my age.
- Marc Anthony is my all-time favorite singer. I’m also a huge Drake + Kanye fan AND… I totally have a crush on Jimmy Fallon. DYING to go on his show. Someone send me tickets!
- I love to dance! Duh, it’s in my blood BUT I may or may not listen to hood music while cooking. I also salsa dance while cleaning. Seriously, I need a reality show.
- I can’t sing but I can karaoke like a boss! Also, I could OWN you in music trivia!
- Likes + Dislikes: I like avocado, Cuban food, sushi, pad thai, NY style pizza, chocolate chip cookies, rollercoasters, musky candles, and the ocean. I don’t like tahini, broccoli, peanut butter (I like all the other nut butters though. Weird, right?) nor the smell of fried food inside my house.
- If I could, I’d spend the entire year traveling. If not by plane, then by car. I live in South Florida which means I’m either halfway to Key West, halfway to Disney or 20 minutes from the airport. It’s the BEST!
- My friends and I are Disney junkies. We have annual passes so we’re pretty much always in Orlando. Not mad about it.
- My sassiness comes from my mom. We’re so sarcastic that we make each other laugh all the time. She’s the best! I’m very thankful for my family and my close circle of friends.
OH, before I forget…
Sign up for email updates here! I LOVE spoiling you guys with helpful tips, exclusive content that never makes it to the blog and, of course, recipe updates! Trust me, I’ll never spam you. I take that ish seriously. It’s fun on the other side. Join me!