Mini phyllo cups filled with basil, garlic, creamy goat cheese, chopped pistachios, and crumbled applewood smoked bacon then topped with a honey-balsamic glaze. OH. EMM. GEE. There is no better appetizer, I PROMISE YOU.
I have no words.
LOOK AT THESE THINGS!
They are beautiful.
After trying to think up new ideas for appetizers, especially now for the holidays, I came up with this masterpiece. My usual go-to are these Brown Sugar Glazed Kielbasa Bites because my friends are crazy about them. Needless to say, I make them all the time. But I wanted to change things up.
And that I did, my friends.
Enter Honey Balsamic Bacon Goat Cheese & Pistachio Phyllo Cups! Or is it fillo shells? I never know.
What I do know is that you WILL be addicted to these.
I actually had originally purchased these fillo shells to make pulled pork something (maybe I should still do that?)…but I just have SOOO many pulled pork recipes on this blog that I nixed the idea. Pulled pork is so good. Omg.
P.S. You can find these mini fillo shells in the frozen food section of your grocery store. You remove them from the package, let them thaw for a bit, fill them, bake them, and boom. Done in minutes.
I’m a GIGANTIC fan of savory and sweet everything. In case you haven’t already noticed. Most of the recipes on this blog are savory sweet. You know, the way cooking should always be, in my humble opinion.
This recipe was a complete vomit from my crazy brain. I have an obsession with goat cheese so imagine a cheesy app with some crunch, saltiness, and sweet. Hmmmmm. Of course, bacon had to be there because duh. Pistachios are my best friend’s favorite nuts so I know she will enjoy these (she’s the pickiest eater in the entire world). Finally, something sweet… honey because YUM.
But wait, there’s more!
“What happens if I mix honey and balsamic glaze together?” MAGIC. That’s what happens. I just put a tablespoon of balsamic glaze and a tablespoon of honey in a bowl, tasted it, and was beyond excited to try it on this recipe.
So should we run down the list again? It’s a lot I know. I could barely fit everything in the title of this post!
We have some salty, crispy, crunchy deliciousness from the bacon and pistachios, some soft and creamy from the goat cheese, and tangy sweet from the honey-balsamic glaze. I’d say this is a winner!
[clickToTweet tweet=”Cannot wait to make these Bacon Goat Cheese & Pistachio Bites with Honey-Balsamic Glaze!” quote=”Cannot wait to make these Bacon Goat Cheese & Pistachio Bites with Honey-Balsamic Glaze!”]
I hope you make this and you LOVE it!
Honey Balsamic Bacon Goat Cheese & Pistachio Bites
- 1 package frozen mini fillo shells I use Athens brand
- 4 slices applewood smoked bacon chopped
- 4 oz goat cheese crumbled
- 1-2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil finely chopped
- 1/4 cup pistachios roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons balsamic glaze
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Remove the mini fillo shells from the freezer and allow to thaw for exactly 10 minutes before baking. Arrange them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a skillet, cook the bacon over medium-high heat until crisp, about 6 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix the goat cheese with the finely chopped garlic until well combined. In another small bowl, mix honey and balsamic glaze until well combined.
- Fill each shell evenly in this order: fresh basil (about 1/4 teaspoon), goat cheese (about 1 teaspoon), and chopped pistachios (about 1/2 teaspoon). Crumble the bacon and top the shells evenly. Drizzle with balsamic glaze (save some for later!).
- Bake until the fillo shells are crisp and flaky, about 7-8 minutes. Sprinkle with more basil and balsamic glaze, if desired. Serve immediately.