Classic Cuban-Style Arroz Con Pollo
A classic, one-pot Cuban-style dish made with chicken, rice, tomato sauce, bell peppers and spices. The best comfort food!
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time45 mins
Total Time1 hr
Servings: 4 servings
- 3 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 lb chicken thighs bone in, skin on
- Pinch of salt, pepper, cumin for chicken thighs
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 3 cups uncooked long grain white rice (you can use Valencia rice too)
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon annatto powder (or turmeric) to color the rice
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- Salt + pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
Season chicken thighs with salt, pepper, and cumin. In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Over medium-high heat, place chicken thighs in the pan and brown on both sides. Transfer to a plate.
In the same pan, add remaining olive oil and sauté onion, garlic and red pepper, stirring frequently, until the onion is translucent and the garlic is fragrant.
Add rice, chicken stock, tomato sauce, annatto powder, bay leaf, oregano, cumin, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil then reduce heat.
Add chicken. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, about 45-60 min. Add frozen peas, stirring until warm. Fluff rice with fork, serve, and enjoy!
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 422kcal | Carbohydrates: 36.3g | Protein: 24g | Fat: 21.4g | Saturated Fat: 4.6g | Cholesterol: 90mg | Sodium: 492mg | Potassium: 533mg | Fiber: 2.5g | Sugar: 4.1g | Calcium: 40mg | Iron: 9.7mg