Easy Cuban Black Bean Soup (Dairy-Free, Vegetarian)
Rich, creamy, and easy-to-make Cuban black bean soup made with canned beans. Quick weeknight meal that is ready in just 25 minutes!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time25 mins
Servings: 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 red pepper diced
- 1 green pepper diced
- 4 cups vegetable stock or water
- 2 tablespoons Califia Farms Unsweetened Better Half
- 3 cans low-sodium black beans rinsed and drained (15 ounces each)
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt + pepper to taste
- Optional toppings: avocado, diced red pepper, chopped tomatoes, cilantro, lime wedges, vegan sour cream or Greek yogurt
In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for 2 minutes. Add the garlic, red and green peppers. Sauté for 2 more minutes.
Add the stock or water, Califia Farms Unsweetened Better Half, black beans, cumin, oregano, smoked paprika, chili powder, vinegar, bay leaves, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Turn down the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat. Serve and garnish with toppings. Enjoy!
Optional: if you're not a fan of texture, you can remove the bay leaves and use an immersion blender to slightly blend soup before serving.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 228kcal | Carbohydrates: 29.3g | Protein: 8.4g | Fat: 9.1g | Saturated Fat: 2.1g | Sodium: 303mg | Potassium: 173mg | Fiber: 11.2g | Sugar: 5.4g | Calcium: 8% | Iron: 21%