Pulled pork with spicy barbecue sauce, spices, and beer all slow cooked to perfection. This spicy, sweet shredded Boston Butt practically cooks itself!
Using the slow cooker is such a blessing, isn’t it? You dump everything in a big pot, turn it on, and go to sleep. Well, depending on the time you turn it on. I usually leave the slow cooker on overnight.
I love waking up to food being ready. It’s basically cooking itself while you sleep. Talk about killing two birds with one stone, huh?
I got my slow cooker on Black Friday a few years ago. This one is the one I own and so far, I’ve had NO complaints!
Needless to say, I’ve been making this pulled pork recipe for years! It’s one of my favorite recipes to make when I have company over.
The ingredients in this recipe gives pork a perfect blend of savory, spicy, and sweet. My favorite! I love the sweet and salty mix in food. Don’t you?
Whenever I make pulled pork, I usually buy bone-in Boston Butt instead of tenderloin. Why? Because #1 it’s cheaper (duh). Number 2 bone-in equals more flavor and #3 slow cookers work best with fattier cuts of meat. Perhaps, not the healthiest but when you see that meat just fall right off the bone, you’ll totally understand what I’m talking about here!
What can you make with this recipe?
Sandwiches, tacos, empanadas, mix it with rice (I’m Cuban, I practically add rice to every meal), mac & cheese, nachos, or you can just eat it by itself (just fork to mouth).
What’s the best bread to make sandwiches?
My opinion…Hawaiian Sweet Bread or Martin’s Potato Bread. You may have plenty of leftovers so be ready to get creative!
Here are some other ideas for pulled pork:
Does this mean I have a pork obsession?
[clickToTweet tweet=”If you love sweet + spicy, this slow cooker pulled pork recipe is right up your alley!” quote=”If you love sweet + spicy, this slow cooker pulled pork recipe is right up your alley!”]
Hope you make this and you LOVE it!
Slow Cooker Spicy BBQ Pulled PorkPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 2 pound bone-in Boston Butt roast
- 12 ounce dark beer, I used AmberBock
- 1/2 bottle sweet & spicy BBQ sauce, I used Sweet Baby Ray's
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- Poke holes in the roast with a cook's fork and place in the slow cooker.
- Pour the entire bottle of beer on the roast in the slow cooker. Add 1/2 tablespoon of salt, pepper, paprika, and cumin. Save the other 1/2 tablespoons for later.
- Cover and cook in the slow cooker on low for about 6 hours, or until fork tender. Slow cooker times will vary.
- Drain the liquid into a bowl. Save about 1 cup of the liquid.
- Using two forks, pull apart the meat into shreds, removing the fatty pieces (unless you like it, you can leave it in).
- Add the remaining tablespoons of seasonings - 1/2 tablespoons of salt, pepper, paprika, and cumin plus 1 cup of the liquid. Add barbecue sauce. Mix it all together.
- Cook for another 30 minutes on low then serve. Add toppings, if desired.
If you’ve made this or any other recipe, tag me on Instagram with #asassyspoon or comment below. I’d love to hear from you!
Get a FREE weekly meal planner printable plus my go-to meal prep tips by clicking here!
Thank you for being here! <3
This page contains affiliate links. This means that if you click on one of the product links above and complete a purchase, I’ll receive a small commission. Do understand that I will never place a link nor make a recommendation on a product or service that I don’t love or use personally. Thank you for keeping A Sassy Spoon, sassy. ;)