Make all your dessert dreams come true by turning homemade Nutella into a ooey gooey, chocolatey, Paleo, grain-free, and refined sugar-free brownie skillet!
Hey look, it’s Pac-Man! Nah, jk it’s Paleo. Guys, I have been testing this recipe SO much. I’m excited to finally be sharing it with you today!
This Paleo Nutella Chocolate Brownie Skillet is TO. DIE. FOR. if I do say so myself. See here’s the thing, I love to bake but I usually do it the old-fashioned way. Real butter, eggs, flour, sugar…you know, the traditional way. That’s how I made my favorite chocolate chip cookies and my nutella cookie ice cream sandwiches along with well, all the desserts on this site. So this was my first attempt at making a Paleo dessert! Using almond flour, no butter nor sugar was like whoa.
SO. MANY. TRIES.
But I did it! I mastered this recipe and here we are!
Isn’t my spoon SO CUTE?! I big fat puffy heart it.
Using my nutella cookie recipe as a guide, I decided to modify it a bit and see what may come of it. But before I could make a Paleo Nutella Chocolate Brownie Skillet, I had to make actual Nutella.
First, I tried using cacao powder with maple syrup, then melted chocolate, then no sweetener. SO. MANY. VARIATIONS. I wanted to get the right consistency which took a while. Finally, I figured it out using the least amount of ingredients – hazelnuts, melted 72% dark chocolate, a little bit of coconut oil, vanilla extract, and salt.
Boom. Just 5 ingredients. It’s obviously not EXACTLY like the real thing but it’s pretty close! I love the consistency. Smooth, spreadable, full of hazelnut flavor and with no refined sugar. Not too shabby, huh? After that, I began experimenting making the actual brownie. I used almond flour, baking soda, salt, eggs, and vanilla extract. OH and raw honey to sweetened it all up.
Look how rich that looks!? YUM. I want some now. Although, I love me some real baked goods. This wasn’t too far off from the real thing. I’m telling you I was impressed! Chocolatey, ooey gooey, soft, rich, VERY fudge-brownie-like and the intense taste of hazelnuts shines right through… which is exactly what I wanted!
Give a shot. Even if you aren’t following a grain-free, Paleo, or sugar-free diet, I promise you will LOVE it!
Paleo Nutella Chocolate Brownie Skillet
- 1 cup roasted unsalted hazelnuts
- 1/2 cup 72% dark chocolate chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup homemade nutella
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of sea salt plus more sprinkling on top
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an 8-inch cast iron skillet with cooking spray. Set aside.
- First, make the nutella by adding hazelnuts in a food processor. Blend until creamy consistency, about 3-4 minutes, scraping down the sides of the food processor as needed.
- In a bowl, add chocolate and coconut oil. Melt either in the microwave (30 seconds increments) or on a double broiler.
- Add melted chocolate, vanilla extract, and sea salt into the food processor. Blend with the hazelnut butter until all is well combined. Ta-da! You just made homemade nutella! Set aside.
- In a separate bowl or stand mixer, mix together the homemade nutella, honey, egg, and vanilla extract until well combined and smooth. Add flour, baking soda, and sea salt to the wet ingredients. Mix again until well combined.
- Add the mixture to the skillet and spread out evenly. Sprinkle sea salt on top. Place in the oven and bake for 18-20 minutes. When you remove it from the oven, make sure to let it cool slightly before you dig in. Enjoy!