Crushed Maria Cookies, cream cheese and guava paste make this the ultimate Cuban sweet treat – Maria Cookie Truffles!
There’s no surprise these Maria Cookie Truffles came out beyond delicious. If you’ve never heard of Maria Cookies, or as I grew up hearing them, Galletas Maria, they are buttery biscuits from Spain similar to a tea biscuit.
Growing up in Cuban household, you would either eat
the entire pack these cookies alone or you would top them with a sliver of cream cheese and guava paste.
The combination was always oh so sticky, sweet, and crunchy.
It’s like when you chew popcorn and Milk Duds at the same time. Am I the only one that loves to do that? Well, not quite like popcorn but you know what I’m talking about here. Maybe more like a Twix or a Kit Kat.
You have that crunch from the cookie and ooey gooey guava paste and cream cheese to give you the ultimate sweet tooth. This trifecta of Maria cookies, cream cheese, and guava have always been the perfect combination so I decided to make this classic Cuban sweet treat into cookie truffles.
If you’ve never tried guava paste, or goiabada or guayaba, it is essentially the purée of the guava fruit made into a soft, thick, dense, sticky bar that comes in a long box. Guava paste tastes very sweet and fruity like jam. While it cuts easily with a knife, it is not necessarily spreadable like jam. When you cut slabs of guava paste, they look like 1-inch thick but soft fruity rectangles.
For this recipe, I wanted to add tiny pieces of the guava paste instead of large slabs that would stick out of the truffle ball.
Doing this with a knife can be difficult so to avoid cutting yourself, just slice the guava paste, grab it with your hands, and pull apart tiny pieces with your fingers.
Trust me, it’s much easier that way, even though it is quite sticky. It’s better than cutting yourself.
I crushed Maria Cookies in a large zip lock bag with a rolling pin until they were very fine. I, then, mixed the crushed cookies with cream cheese, added the tiny bite size pieces of guava, formed truffle balls, and then rolled them in more crushed Maria Cookies to coat.
It’s like Maria Cookie heaven in one little ball! Ok, enough blabbing. Here’s the recipe!
Maria Cookie Truffles
- 1 pack Maria cookies 7 ounce pack
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened room temperature
- 2 ounces guava paste divided
- Finely ground the entire pack of cookies in a food processor or a zip lock page with a rolling pin. Set aside about 6-7 tablespoons to coat each truffle ball later.
- Place remaining ground cookie crumbs in a bowl with cream cheese and mix until well blended.
- Add tiny pieces of guava paste. Just grab the 1 oz slab of the guava paste with your hands and break tiny pieces with your fingers.
- Mix ground cookie crumbs, cream cheese, and guava all together.
- Spoon the mixture to form 1-inch balls. Place balls on a lined cookie sheet and freeze for about 15 minutes.
- Remove from freezer. Melt 1 oz slab of guava paste in microwave (about 10 seconds) until it looks like jam.
- Roll each ball in the ground cookie crumbs you had set aside and add a drop of guava paste on top as garnish.