When I first wanted to start a food blog, I knew it would take hard work and dedication. While working in digital marketing, I managed blogs and the social platforms of several clients. I realized the amount of work and tedious attention to detail necessary to make a blog successful but it wasn’t until I got into it myself that I realized it was A LOT OF WORK. More about that here.
Once I was finally ready to take the plunge and go head first into this whole food blog biz, I handled it like I handle everything in life – I goggled the hell out of it! So here are some helpful resources that helped me get me started. Hope this helps you too!
For more info on photography tools, click here.
How To Drive Traffic To Your Blog
One of the first things I did when I started my blog was sign up for MailChimp. I know the importance of reaching my readers outside of social media. Email may not be the most popular but a lot of my initial traffic came from MailChimp newsletters. MailChimp allows you to store up to 2,000 subscriber emails and send up to 12,000 customizable email newsletters per month! FOR FREE!
This is one of my favorite tools for driving traffic to your blog from Pinterest. It’s like your own personal intern for Pinterest. Aside from Google SEO, Pinterest is my biggest traffic driver. You basically schedule your pins into any and all the boards you want and it does the rest for you. It’s such a time saver!
Do yourself a favor and test your site’s page speed by clicking here. If you receive a bad score, your site load is slow. If you have to wait 30 seconds for your site to load, you’re waiting too long. The problem with this is that if you’re annoyed with slow site loads, so are your users. No one has patience so they’ll just go elsewhere. I invested in site optimization last year and it was SO WORTH IT. I highly recommend you do this for your site as well.
Advice from Food Bloggers
- How To Make Money As A Food Blogger by Gabi Moskowitz
- How to Start a Food Blog | Pinch of Yum
- Why You Should Never Start a Food Blog | I Am Baker
- Food Blogging | David Lebovitz
- How to Start A Food Blog | Cookie and Kate
- Food Blogging as a Career | Sally Baking Addiction
- Pinch of Yum Income Reports (SUPER MOTIVATING!)
Podcasts I Love
- 038: 7 Strategies to Build Traffic | Food Blogger Pro Blog
- 027: Committing to a Niche and Building a Brand with Ali Maffucci from Inspiralized | Food Blogger Pro Blog
- 029: The Phases of Pinch of Yum with Bjork & Lindsay Ostrom | Food Blogger Pro Blog
- Sally McKenney from Sally’s Baking Addiction on Creating Success – FBP003 | Food Blogger Pro Blog
- 024: How to Find Balance in Blogging with Ali Ebright from Gimme Some Oven | Food Blogger Pro Blog
- Maintaining Your Blogging Passion with Jessica Merchant – Chopped Conference
- CP #82: The Fast Growing Food Blog with Sabrina Snyder – Chopped Conference
- Ep #93: The Village of Blogging with Trevor and Jennifer Debth – Chopped Conference
Influencer Networks (For Sponsored Content)
Monetizing Your Blog
This page contains affiliate links. This means that if you click on one of the product links above and complete a purchase, I’ll receive a small commission. Do understand that I will never place a link nor make a recommendation on a product or service that I don’t love or use personally. Thank you for keeping A Sassy Spoon, sassy. ;)