Crispy, baked chicken wings topped with sticky, sweet and savory guava BBQ sauce. A BBQ sauce so Miami and so Cuban, your Summer just went next level!
Summer, Summer, Summertime. It’s officially Summer, guys! Nothing says summer like BBQ chicken wings!
Can’t believe June is almost over. I feel like just yesterday we were celebrating the new year. For me, it’s been an amazing year so far. New adventures, new experiences…and above all, I started this food blog!
I’ve worked in digital marketing for over 5 years now, particularly with food brands. I’ve always wanted to start a blog of my own. Considering how much of an overachiever I am, I wasn’t going to start anything unless I was going to commit to it 150%. I don’t half ass anything – either I’m all in or I’m all out. I’ve learned so much about the blogging world and food photography (and still learning!). One thing I can say for sure is my eyes are definitely not sick of looking at, posting about, experimenting with or learning about food after all these years.
On that note, I wanted to experiment making a sweet savory BBQ sauce. And what better way to make a sauce sweet than with the most Cuban/Miami flavor ever – GUAVA! In Miami, we add guava to everything. Pastelitos (pastries), frita burgers, desserts, margaritas, you name it. It’s fun and most of all, it’s delicious. Guava paste is available either in a can or a box at Latin supermarkets but you can also purchase it on Amazon.
I absolutely love the whole sweet and savory food mix. As you can see here with spicy BBQ pulled pork, brown sugar kielbasa bites, and french toast casseroles with salted frosted flakes. I probably missed some but you get it. I remember M&Ms used to make a salty sweet mix. It was my favorite snack on road trips! Shortbread cookies, peanut M&Ms, almonds, and pretzels. It was MY JAM! I loved it so much but I think it was discontinued because I never saw it in stores again. SOBS. Mars Company, if you are reading this, please send me some Peanut M&Ms Salty Sweet Mix! Pleeeeease. I love you.
Moving on, this guava BBQ sauce is the perfect blend of tangy, sweet, and STICKY but the good kind of sticky. The kind you gotta lick off your fingers. Mmmm. Best part about it is that it’s versatile so you can add this BBQ sauce on ribs, ham, chicken breast or thighs, or even pulled pork. These chicken wings are going to be a hit at your next BBQ or Summer outing. Your friends and family will love them!Adding Guava BBQ Chicken Wings to my to-do list!Click To Tweet
- 2 1/2 lbs chicken wings tips removed drumettes and flats separated
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces guava paste cut into 1/2-inch pieces 1 cup
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup spiced rum
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/4 cup water
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Toss chicken wings, vegetable oil, salt, and pepper in a large bowl to coat. Place wings on rimmed baking sheets and spread out in a single layer.
- Bake wings until cooked through and skin is crispy, about 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the guava paste with the vinegar, rum, tomato paste, lime juice, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, garlic and water and bring to a boil. Simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, until reduced, about 15 minutes. Season the sauce with salt and pepper.
- Remove wings from oven and brush on guava BBQ sauce on each wing.
- Place back in the oven and bake until glaze is glossy and lightly caramelized, 10 minutes.