Not your typical parmesan risotto recipe. This creamy risotto is made with spiralized then riced green plantains instead of arborio rice, black beans, spices and Parmesan cheese!
Plantain “rice” sounds odd, right? You can’t buy it anywhere.
This is the type of rice you make!
Similar to cauliflower rice, where you add the cauliflower florets to a food processor and pulse until you get rice-size pieces. You do the same with a green plantain. Make sure to buy green unripe plantains. If they are ripe (dark in color) or yellow-ish/not bright green, they will be too soft and too sweet. You won’t be able to make rice. You can however make sweet plantains!
That’s a recipe for another day. ;)
Once you have a green plantain on hand, you can either spiralize it or dice it with a knife then throw it in the food processor. Personally, I adore spiralizing. I’m sure you’ve heard me talk endlessly about this spiralizer – it’s the one I use for all the recipes on this site.
For this recipe, the first thing I did was peel and spiralize the green plantains. I then tossed it in the food processor and pulsed until I got rice-size pieces.
The riced plantain will be a little sticky to touch and that’s ok. It will all come together beautifully once it’s on the hot skillet.
BRB. Gonna make this Black Bean Plantain 'Rice' Parmesan Risotto! #asassyspoonClick To Tweet
Once you cook the plantain on the skillet with the chicken broth, it will become creamy and tender. If you notice that it does not have that creamy texture, add a tablespoon at a time of the chicken broth until you see that lavishly creamy consistency.
You get the flavor of the plantain, infused with the chicken stock and the spices and, the perfect finishing touch of black beans and cheese!
The cheese pulls look so legit.
Your friends, family, and guests will think you took hours to make this. It’s our secret. ;)
So if you’re in the mood to change things up or treat yourself to a delicious dinner, give this a try!
Not your typical risotto recipe. This creamy risotto is made with spiralized then riced green plantains, black beans, spices and Parmesan cheese!
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 3/4 cup diced onion
- 2 green plantains (riced) spiralized or diced up then pulse in a food processor
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/3 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1 can low sodium black beans 15 oz, drained, rinsed
- In a large skillet, heat up olive oil. Add garlic and onions. Cook for about 2 minutes then add in the plantain rice. Season with salt, pepper, chili powder, and cumin.
- Cook the plantain rice for about 2 minutes. Add in the chicken broth and cook until reduced. The plantain "rice" should be creamy and tender. If not, add a tablespoon of chicken broth at a time until it reaches that creamy consistency.
- Add black beans towards the end and cook for 2 minutes. Remove skillet from heat, stir in cheese. Serve immediately with more cheese, if desired. Enjoy!
Adapted from Inspiralized.
If you’ve made this or any other recipe, tag me on Instagram with #asassyspoon or comment below. I’d love to hear from you! You can also ask me any questions about cooking this recipe via Instagram.
Get a FREE weekly meal planner printable plus my go-to meal prep tips by clicking here!
Thank you for being here! <3
This page may contain affiliate links. This means that if you click on one of the product links above and complete a purchase, I’ll receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. I will never place a link nor make a recommendation on a product or service that I don’t love or use personally. Thank you for keeping A Sassy Spoon, sassy. ;)